Celebrate Your Fandom: eBay Releases “2019 Fan Report,” Reveals Top Teams, Players and Merchandise
By: eBay News Team
Beginning October 21, fans can score everything from trending gear up to 60% off, to rare sports memorabilia and the latest sneaker releases.
eBay, one of the world’s most dynamic and diverse marketplaces, is celebrating fans and their favorite teams with the ultimate three-day fan event starting October 21 at?eBay.com/sports.?As the clubhouse for all sports fans, shoppers can enjoy up to 60 percent off on team and player merchandise, and a wide selection of rare sports memorabilia, sporting goods, fan gear, and the latest sneaker drops inspired on and off the court.?
Additionally, just in time for the cross-over season when sports collide - from the NBA season opener and the MLB World Series - eBay is revealing their “2019 Fan Report,” where shoppers can see the latest trends including the top teams, most popular merchandise and hottest-selling games in partnership with Stubhub.
Rep Like a G.O.A.T with Top Merchandise?
Beginning today through October 24, shoppers can celebrate their passion for sports with the ultimate fan event on eBay, featuring original autographed merchandise, coveted memorabilia, rare collectibles, the latest sneaker releases, sports-inspired electronics and more. From Supreme x Spalding basketballs, Jordan 5 retro sneakers, and Nike LeBron James jerseys, to NBA 2K20 and a 2009 Bowman Chrome Mike Trout BGS 10, eBay has something for every fan. Some of the takeover events include:
- For the collector: Up to 60% off sports memorabilia
- For the player: Up to 60% off top athletic brands, cleats starting at $18.00?
- For the big game: Up to 40% off TV & home audio
- For the mancave: Up to 40% off Indoor Sports?
- The G.O.A.T. - Michael Jordan:??
- The King - LeBron James:??
- The Rookie - Zion Williamson:??
Latest Sports Trends: Fans Take Pride in Their Side?
New this year, eBay dove into its shopper data to release their “2019 Fan Report,” detailing this year’s most popular players and teams across major sports leagues from the NHL to the NBA, most anticipated games this season, the latest sneaker trends and more. eBay identified where fans’ loyalties lie for the 2019-20 season - trends include:
Most In-Demand Teams
- NBA - Chicago Bulls
- The Chicago Bulls ranked #1 in overall merchandise sales on eBay with an average of 10 Bulls items purchased every hour this past year.
- NFL - Dallas Cowboys
- Despite the Patriots’ 2019 Super Bowl win, the Dallas Cowboys remain ‘America’s Team’ on eBay with 30% more US merchandise sales than the current champions.?
- NHL - Boston Bruins
- In the past year, the most popular hockey team on eBay, the Boston Bruins, shut out number two team, the Chicago Blackhawks, by 50% in terms of total merchandise sold.
- MLB - New York Yankees
- Mickey Mantle, known as one of the best sluggers during his 17 year career with the New York Yankees, is the current record holder for the most expensive card ever sold for an impressive $486,100, and Babe Ruth’s 1916 Rookie Card is not only one of eBay’s most vintage cards, but it also sold on eBay for an impressive $80,900.??
NBA Teams to Watch:?Denver Nuggets, Milwaukee Bucks, Houston Rockets.
Most Popular Players?
- NBA - LeBron James
- LeBron James is the most popular NBA player on eBay for jersey and merchandise sales; in the past year, an average of five pieces of his memorabilia sold per hour on eBay.??
- NFL - Tom Brady
- Tom Brady is the most popular NFL player when it comes to merchandise sales on eBay, not only in the U.S., but also in Mexico, Canada and the U.K.
- NHL - Sidney Crosby
- Penguins legend Sidney Crosby had the most memorabilia sold on eBay over the past year, but Oilers player Connor McDavid claims the most valuable merchandise. On average, McDavid merchandise was 144% more expensive than Crosby’s.
- MLB - Mike Trout
- Debatably one of the strongest players in the current MLB roster, Mike Trout shows up just as hard on eBay as he does on the field. The six time Silver Slugger has the second most expensive card ever sold on eBay at $400,000, quickly catching up to legend and current most-expensive card holder Mickey Mantle.?
NBA Players to Watch:?Zion Williamson (New Orleans Pelicans), Kawhi Leonard (Los Angeles Clippers), Giannis Antetokounmpo (Milwaukee Bucks), Steph Curry (Golden State Warriors), LeBron James (Los Angeles Lakers).
Most Anticipated Games This Season
- NBA - Lakers at Clippers, October 22; The battle for L.A.
- NFL - Maple Leafs at Canadiens, October 26; Showdown in the Great White North??
- NHL - Eagles at Cowboys, October 20; America’s team defends their turf?
2019 NBA Sneaker Report
- Top Sneaker of the Year: Air Jordan 11
- Michael Jordan is a legend on the court - and on eBay. His Air Jordan 11s top the charts with nearly 171% more sales than James Harden’s Vol. 3s, and 90% more sales than Kyrie Irving’s Kyrie 5s.?
- Most In-Demand NBA Sneaker Brand: Nike
- Nike tops the list as the most popular NBA sneaker brand on eBay, and continues to climb beating out competitors by 51%.
- Most Popular New Sneaker Release:?Air Jordan 9 Retro
- With all of the new sneaker releases this fall,? the best-selling new retro for 2019 is the Air Jordan 9.?
- Top Sneaker State: California??
- Californians are die-hard sneaker fans - the Golden State edged out New York by nearly 10%? in NBA sneakers sold on eBay this year.?
- Most In-Demand Yeezy Sneaker: Yeezy Zebra
- Sneaker fans are coming to eBay to get their fix for older releases - Yeezy Zebras are the #1 most sold Kanye sneaker on eBay this year,? with nearly 40% more sales than the Belugas.?
- Most Popular NBA Streetwear: Supreme Box Logo Hoodie?
- The NBA’s favorite streetwear brand is also #1 on eBay - the Supreme Box Logo Hoodie, worn by players from Dwyane Wade to J.R. Smith, tops the charts as the #1 item sold on eBay this year.?
- Top NBA Player Sneaker Collaboration: James Harden
- Harden takes the lead for this year’s top 10 most popular NBA player sneakers, with 60% more sales and three adidas collaborations on the list. In fact, one adidas x Harden sneaker sold per hour on eBay in the last year.??
“From couch to courtside, eBay is the only destination in the marketplace where sports fans everywhere can find trending, one of a kind, and scarce inventory to celebrate their passions and sports culture,” said Sam Bright, Vice President of Merchandising at eBay. “We’re proud to offer our shoppers a chance to take home a piece of the action and win fan gear for way less across across all categories from memorabilia and collectibles to fan apparel and sporting goods.”
Shop eBay’s first-ever Sports Week event from October 21 to 24 only at?www.eBay.com/sports.?